How to remove a Oil Stain from a Silk Bed Skirt.
Always evaluate the stain, color and material before proceeding. If the color is sensitive or the material is delicate you must modify your technique.
Oil based stains can be easily removed with a good oil remover.
What is an oil remover you ask?
Liquid dish washing soap is a great oil remove because it’s designed to remove oils from your dishes. There are other degreasers on the market made with natural citrus based products. But I like this one because it works well and everyone has some readily available in the kitchen.
- Step One; Depending on the color, material and severity of the stain will depend on the concentration of the solution to use. The more sensitive the color and material, the weaker the concentration. Dilute the dish washing liquid with water to create the solution you desire, a good starting point is 1 part dishwashing liquid and 10 parts water. Test a hidden area for colorfastness.
- Step Two; Apply the solution to the stain*.
- Step Three; Tap with a brush.
- Step Four; Let product rest on stain for 5-10 minute to penetrate.
- Step Five; Rinse area with fresh water.
- Step Six; If necessary repeat steps one – five and increase the strength of solution until the stain is removed or switch to a stronger degreaser.
*For large stained areas or Items with excess color loss**: Soak the entire item in the solution desired.
**Add one ounce of distilled white vinegar per gallon of water. This technique will help prevent uneven color fade.
Remember to always evaluated color and material. Test for color bleeding in a hidden area of the garment before proceeding with any stain removal product. Using a white towel apply a small amount of the solution onto the towel and dab a hidden area of the garment. If color transfers to the towel re-evaluate the use of the product and technique. Rubbing and scrubbing can cause excess color lost.
Finish by cleaning the entire item as recommended by the care label.
Seek professional help if necessary. If you have a good relationship with your green dry cleaners they will be more than happy to help you with stain removal questions.
Pacific Heights Cleaners in San Francisco and Sausalito is your resource for cleaning tips and garment care information.
A certified green dry cleaner by the Bay Area Green Business Program and the San Francisco Department of Environment.
Your non toxic dry cleaning alternative serving you with an EPA approved Eco Dry Clean (Wet Clean) System that is safe for your health and is environmentally friendly.
Other Articles of Interest: